Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pearl Watching

Actually I have not written anything on Pearl Watching yet but it rhymes with Squirrel Watching and Girl Watching so I thought it would be fun to trick you.  Who wrote the book, The Pearl, anyway?  Was it John Steinbeck?  My Internet connection is screwing with me right now so I am not going to Google the subject to find out.

I remember reading The Pearl when I was 10 or 12.  It was good; about some Mexican baby (I think) who was stung by a scorpion.  Interesting that my baby is 4 weeks old today.  I would have a new perspective if I read the book today.  I hear my wife giggling next door in the "baby room" as she bottle-feeds Nathaniel.  It brings me joy.

We love it when he gets "milk drunk."  As his belly fills up he begins falling to sleep.  Sometimes his eyelids close.  Sometimes they pretty much stay open and you can see his eyes rolling around as it is evident he sleeping/dreaming.  She plays soothing classical music while he feeds and she is convinced Mozart is his favorite.  She says he smiles more in his milk stupor when Mozart is playing.  It always makes her giggle. 

I'll see if I can come up with something for "Pearl Watching" on a future post.  I'm gunna take a nap before I head off for a 3 O'clock job interview.   Things have changed.  We think it would be best if Nancy's mother (very kind of her) would watch the kid so I can bring in some money.  It's $480 a month just to add him to her insurance.   $200 a month for my cobra rates.  $680 a  month going out now that wasn't when I was bringing in money.  Not cryin' here...just sayin'.

Catch you tomorrow.