Thursday, March 3, 2011

White Bird

It's only fitting around the first of March, as male and female birds are hooking up, that I write about them.  I was pumping eighty dollars of post "Egypt's not gunna take it anymore"...amen!... gas into my  pick-up when I heard what I thought to be a red-winged blackbird singing his breeding season's best.  I had not heard or seen Red Wings since last fall.

Upon investigation, I noticed 5 male Red Wings sitting atop the power  line twenty yards away as my truck consumed liquid fuel.  One suitor was more boisterous (he must have kicked some bird-butt for the privilege.)  Nevertheless, the lone, less brilliantly adorned female seemed more interested in discerning why I kept staring at her than why 5 male blackbirds had gathered around her.

I noticed as well, driving around the metro that day, that red-tailed hawks, pigeons (both pigeons were pure white - pretty cool by the way) and waterfowl were pairing up.

In Kansas City, it's unusual to see one pure white bird unless it's imprisoned in a cage for viewer enjoyment.

The two white pigeons got my wheels turning and I fondly reminisced of a white bird I met in my youth.



White Bird

There was a boy of city birth,
and summers half a dozen.
He moved unto a wilder earth,
where friend and foe were cousin. 
A raven dark and evil,
a Hawk of regal white.
One master of upheaval,
One Master of delight.
The boy was young and tender,
how would his life unfold?
One bird would try to hinder,
One Bird would try to mold.

The raven swooped in fiercely, with loud and haughty cries,
he was a source unto the boy, of terror from the skies.
The Hawk was calm and peaceful, He'd light upon a tree
the evil bird would change his tune, he'd see the Hawk and flee.

As if a roaring lion, the raven through the years,
would try to find an opening to cast his doubt and fears.
He found the boy alone, on a dark and wooded path,
the Hawk was not in sight; he'd strike the boy with wrath.

Descending with his venom, his claws and beak to pierce,
twilight's calm was shattered, by a shriek both loud and fierce.
Black plumage now exploded, as Talons hit their mark
As Lightning from the heavens- White Bird, impaling dark
.
The Monarch struck his wicked foe, and pinned him to the ground,
he held him there until there was no movement, was no sound.
There would be other ravens, but the Hawk said, "Not to fear!
Confront them, son, with courage, and remember, I'll be near."

M. G. Sparks